Plot: A highly respected professor retires. He,unfortunately, loses his house due to an air-raid during WW II. How his students support him is shown with potions of humour,humanity & honesty. When they ask him if he's ready to die, the professor who enjoys his life to the fullest keeps saying Mada dayo(not yet!) for 17 long years before he finally dies at 77, dreaming of solid-gold - that personifies his character.
- This is the last film of Akira Kurosawa & incidentally, the character reminds us of the man himself - shining bright till the last work!
- The cat sequence,61st birthday celebration scene & burglar notification scenes are touchy & humourous.
- The person who plays the professor,the closest of his students & his wife play their roles lovably.
- The film is a tad too slow.
- What makes the pupils respect their master so much could have been shown.